Days after announcing a ban on publishing sexually explicit images, Google has reversed its decision to impose the said blanket ban on adult content on Blogger.
Earlier this week Google announced its plans to change its content policy on Blogger. In a statement posted online, the company said that from March 23 this year users "won't be able to publicly share images and video that are sexually explicit or show graphic nudity."
The notice to Bloggers behind the "adult" door read:
"In the coming weeks, we'll no longer allow blogs that contain sexually explicit or graphic nude images or video. We'll still allow nudity presented in artistic, educational, documentary, or scientific contexts, or presented where there are other substantial benefits to the public from not taking action on the content. The new policy will go into effect on the 23rd of March 2015. After this policy goes into effect, Google will restrict access to any blog identified as being in violation of our revised policy. No content will be deleted, but only blog authors and those with whom they have expressly shared the blog will be able to see the content we've made private."
This U-turn was mainly due to public outrage following its earlier announcement. The move could even have seen a mass exodus from the platform, which meant that Google had to take the negative responses into account.